08 July 2021
Do you know your CHIS from your OCG?
As specialists in criminal law, B P Collins’ growing criminal practice most certainly does. In this edition of Insight, it has a quick quiz to test your knowledge on the law in England and Wales.
- Metropolitan Police Act 1854 makes it an offence to beat your carpet in the street after 7 am.
- It is an offence to be drunk and in charge of cattle in England and Wales.
- The Salmon Act 1986 outlaws “handling Salmon in suspicious circumstances.”
- MPs are allowed to wear armour in Parliament.
- In 1981 the breathalyser was introduced as a way of testing a person’s blood-alcohol level.
- CPS stands for Criminal Prosecution Service.
- The 2003 Licensing Act makes it illegal to buy a drink for a drunk person.
- The Metropolitan Police Act 1854 makes it an offence to "willfully and wantonly disturb any inhabitant by pulling or ringing any doorbell or knocking at any door without lawful excuse."
- According to the Seamen’s and Soldiers’ False Characters Act 1906, it is illegal to pass yourself off as a member of the Armed Forces.
- Thanks to the Metropolitan Police Act 1839, if you annoy individuals with flying a paper aeroplane, you'll be fined 500 pounds.
About the team
With 30 years’ experience, Jonothan Moss specialises in all areas of criminal defence and can advise and attend any interviews under caution conducted by the authorities such as Police, Environment Agency, HMRC, DWP or Environmental Health. He will also prepare any case, should you or your company ever be required to attend a criminal court.
Jonothan can also advise you on options available including assisting with your Victims Right to Review, should you be the victim of crime and the CPS or Police unreasonably refuse to prosecute an offender in your case. Jonothan has been able to set aside initial decisions made by the authorities by making challenges to an investigation and holding to account those whose duty it is to prosecute cases.
In addition to specialising in motoring offences, mental health law, enviroment and professional discipline, James Constable offers the added benefit of being a solicitor advocate, meaning he can work with you from the beginning of your case right through to representing you in court proceedings if required, so there is one point of contact and support throughout.
For further advice, B P Collins’ criminal team can be contacted on 01753 889995 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow James Constable on Instagram at ‘the_criminal_solicitor’ for more criminal law updates.
*CHIS is a Covert Human Intelligence Source and OCG is an Organised Crime Group.
- False. It is an offence after 8am.
- False. It was 1967.
- False. It stands for Crown Prosecution Service.
- False. You will be fined if you annoy people with a kite.