18 April 2018
B P Collins helps companies in the land of the rising sun set up in the UK
In January 2018, B P Collins sponsored the Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce’s (TVCC) trade mission to Japan. The mission focused on the key sectors of Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things and renewables.
B P Collins’ partner David Smellie (for whom this was the second time attending such a mission) travelled with the 12-strong delegation to the Kansai region.
On the last TVCC trade mission to Japan in 2016, we saw firsthand how face-to-face meetings can lead to exciting prospects for UK businesses and one of the delegates on that mission signed a memorandum of understanding with two Japanese companies that would not have been possible without the mission. With well over 1,000 Japanese companies directly employing 140,000 people in the UK, Japan is an important contributor to the UK economy.
For over 20 years, B P Collins has advised Japanese businesses that would like to launch in the UK. We have also worked with companies such as Kawasaki Motors and Daiichi Sankyo UK, who were already established in the UK market and wanted to develop their business further in the Thames Valley region. Businesses approach us because we always think commercially, pragmatically and strategically when trying to help them achieve their objectives.
B P Collins also has every practice that a business needs under one roof. If a business has multiple requirements - from ensuring its international executives can work in the UK through to drafting a contract - each practice will know what the other is doing, allowing for a seamless, cost effective and efficient service.
Key findings from the visit
The effect that Brexit may have on trade between Japan and the UK, and whether it may impact on Japanese companies selling to the UK and then onward selling to Europe, were issues that were repeatedly raised on the visit.
We had interesting discussions with various Japanese companies and are hopeful that we may be able to assist them with any business that they do in the UK. The experience was very worthwhile for everyone involved – and we look forward to working with the TVCC on future missions.
How can B P Collins’ teams help international businesses?
- Advise if your business is seeking growth whether by acquisition, exploring joint ventures or setting up for the first time
- Advise on the most beneficial business models and legal structures (in conjunction with tax advisers)
- Advise when a business is looking to buy, sell or rent commercial properties.
- Advise on and assist in obtaining visa to enable a company’s international employees to work in the UK.
- Offer a network of trusted commercial advisers.
- Advise on compliance for UK specific regulations such as General Data Protection Regulations and the Modern Slavery Act.
- Help with a range of trading contracts securing supply and routes to market, including partnering, distribution, franchising, contracting.
For further advice please contact David Smellie on 01753 279034 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.