Independent administration of estates

In some circumstances, it may be appropriate for an independent administrator to be appointed to deal with the administration of the estate. There are a few scenarios that may require an independent administrator that are mentioned below. :

When there is a will

If a  named executor in a will has pre-deceased or is unwilling to act, or if there is  a dispute between executors, beneficiaries or family members which is causing delays to the administration, an independent administrator may be appointed.

When there is not a will (intestacy)

Equally, if the deceased did not have a will and died intestate, there may be multiple beneficiaries entitled to apply for the grant of letters of administration. In these types of scenarios, the B P Collins Trust Corporation Limited can be appointed as administrators to act independently of all parties and deal with the formalities on behalf of the beneficiaries of the estate. This could be by way of a court order or by mutual consent of all the parties.

If there is a dispute or lack of agreement between beneficiaries, this could be a suitable way forward and our team of probate specialists will be able to provide you with further information on a solution.

How an independent administrator helps you

An independent administrator is trained and fully qualified to assist in the administration of estates when there is no one more suitable to do so. Our independent administrators are members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and Solicitors for the Elderly. 

Their role is to ensure the estate is dealt with appropriately, fairly and in a timely manner, helping to prevent the loss of an estate. They provide an impartial, unbiased service using their knowledge of the relevant wills and probate laws.

Chambers 2024 Firm Logo The Times Best Law Firms 2024 logo Legal 500 Top Tier Photo

Get in touch 

For further information or advice on independent administration, please call 01753 889995 or email

Independent administration lawyers

Speak to an expert

Or send us an email