If you or a relative do not have a power of attorney in place and subsequently lose capacity, a deputyship application to the Court of Protection can be made.

We can provide guidance through the application process which can take many months to finalise with the courts. One of the many disadvantages to deputyship is that the deputy often has far more limited powers than an attorney and may have to ask permission from the Court to deal with certain assets. The deputy also has to account to the Court at all times and provide annual accounts and information on resolutions made on behalf of the incapable person for the Court to approve.

Statutory Wills

If a relative has lost mental capacity and does not have a will or has a will that is old or poorly drafted, a Statutory Will application to the Court of Protection can often rectify the situation.

Our private client solicitors can guide you through the often lengthy and complex process and offer advice as to the likely success of the application.

Get in touch 

For further information or advice please call 01753 889995 or email

More from Court of protection and deputyship

Court of protection and deputyship Specialists

Lucy Wood
Practice Group Leader
Dominic Ibbs
Senior Associate
Sharon Heselton
Senior Associate (Non Solicitor)

Speak to an expert

Or send us an email

    Should there be an inheritance discussion between parents and children?

    To allow the beneficiary to get closure, it is never a bad idea to discuss their inheritance before you pass away.

    Read more