We provide a wide range of expert corporate and compliance advice whether you are an owner or manager of an established business, a start-up or an incoming foreign business. Our experienced team is forward thinking and delivers sound, commercially focused, legal advice that you can depend on.
We can assist on a range of corporate and compliance matters including:
- Operation of businesses
- Corporate governance
- Directors’ duties
- Data protection
- Company restructuring (which may include reviewing staff contracts, commercial leases and licences of premises, supplier and customer contracts and any funding and security arrangements)
- Capital restructuring, debt restructuring (including mechanisms such as share buy-back, reduction of capital, company voluntary arrangement, administration)
- Insolvency (working with insolvency practitioners, debtors and creditors)
For many company decisions, there are strict formal procedures (usually set out in the Companies Act 2006) that need to be complied with such as: filings at Companies House, keeping internal records including minutes of board meetings and general meetings and passing director and shareholder resolutions. (If these procedures have not been followed, this could result in fines for the company and the directors as well as requiring the company to take steps to correct any mistakes.)
We can assist with a variety of matters:
- Appointment or removal of directors, secretary and auditors
- Name changes
- Re-registrations as public or private companies
- Transactions with directors
- Transfers of shares
- Creation of new classes of share (such as preference shares and redeemable shares)
- Re-designation of shares
- Increases, allotments and issues of shares
- Reductions in share capital
- Company purchases of own shares (buy-back of shares)
- Distributions (including dividends)
- Amendments and variations to share rights (including share options and drag along / tag along rights)
- Dissolution and striking off
Advice to incoming foreign businesses
If you are an overseas business looking to establish a UK operation, our team would be delighted to help you. We have experience in providing legal advice to foreign businesses and we will be able to support you throughout the process. We work closely with the employment and commercial property teams at our firm to ensure you are aware of the key requirements and to guide you through the process of overseas branch registrations. Our corporate lawyers will be able to explain important areas such as business structure and operation of UK companies so that you are able to benefit from the advantages of doing business in the UK.
Legal Health Check Assessment
Our expert corporate lawyers can help you consider what challenges you face, identify the risks that you need to minimise within your business and inform you of potential changes so that you can stay compliant.
If you own or manage a thriving business, our respected legal teams can help to secure and enhance the value of your business with a Legal Health Check Assessment. Our lawyers are happy to visit you, at no charge, to explain their trusted advisor role and learn more about the legal needs of your business, whilst looking at operational and strategic issues to identify any potential risks.
Environmental law has become increasingly important over recent years as the volume of environmental legislation has grown considerably. All businesses, from start-ups to SMEs and large multinational businesses have legal environmental obligations that they must meet.
Our cross-practice environment team advise clients on this fast-paced area of law and how it can impact on their business activities.
We can help with:
- ESG and other compliance issues
- Navigation greenwashing rules
Marketing and advertising compliance
Another key area that is growing in prominence in consumer law is marketing and advertising. Regulators are becoming increasingly more vigilant in environmental advertising and it could be helpful to seek legal advice when you are planning an advertising campaign to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations. We can explain the current law in this area and provide tailored and practical recommendations so that you can minimise the potential harmful effects to your reputation.
Company secretarial services
We can help with:
- Companies House filings
- Updating registers
- Auditing corporate filings and documents
- Correcting any haps and errors